Image Courtesy: Philipp Kleindienst
So many of the natural health practitioners readily expound upon the benefits of lemon and honey. Often a home remedy given by mothers and grandmothers, they pack a one-two health punch when used in conjunction, whether in water or tea. As an herbal consultant, they are my go-to remedy in colds and flus, but they have so many more benefits in store for us.
Honey contains an amazing number of vitamins and minerals, including Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, and C, magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, copper, iodine, and zinc. Its many medicinal properties make it a super food.
Here are some the benefits of Honey:
- Aids in weight loss by helping to digest the fat stored in the body.
- Removes free radicals from the body, thus improving immunity.
- Acts as a vaccine for seasonal allergies due to its local pollen content.
- Relieves sore throats, including laryngitis, with its anti-inflammatory action.
- Kills bacteria, viruses and fungus with naturally occurring phytochemicals. It is anti-microbial and
is used as an antiseptic.
- Gives an energy boost without adding weight, maintains blood sugar levels, boosts endurance
and reduces muscle fatigue; therefore it is an excellent addition to an exercise regimen.
- Relieves morning sickness, stomachaches and dehydration.
- Helps with impotence in men and infertility in women.
- Supports blood formation, cleanses the blood, prevents capillary problems, cancer, and heart disease; helps kidneys and intestines function properly.
- Reduces fatigue by giving the brain more sugar to use.
Benefits of Lemon
Lemon also contains lots of good things, including Vitamins B and C, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium,
and carbohydrates. Long praised for its tonic benefits, here are some of the benefits of Lemon:
- Helps with heart issues due to its high potassium levels.
- Control blood pressure.
- Reduces depression and stress.
- Assists with respiratory problems, including asthma.
- Soothes sore throats and tonsillitis with antibacterial properties.
- Decreases phlegm in body.
- Helps constipation and aids bowels in elimination.
- Relieves nausea, heartburn and other digestive complaints.
- Acts as a blood purifier.
- Liver tonic and aids in digestion by producing more bile.
- Aids the lymphatic system by helping it to push toxins out of the body faster, thus reducing sick time.
Benefits of Lemon and Honey Water
And when you mix both honey and lemon together, you also get the added benefits of reducing and losing excess body weight. They help move extra fat being stored so that the body can use it for other functions.
So what is the best way to use these miracle cures?
Adding either of them to food helps, but to get the quickest and most beneficial use, mix them with water. An average “dose” can be the juice of half a lemon, 1-2 tablespoons of honey and warm to hot water. Drink once daily to get the most out of this tonic. If it is being used for colds, flus or other throat problems, drink twice daily until symptoms clear. Together, they can help to reduce and eliminate these types of issues quicker than just cold medicines alone, as well as strengthen the immune system with the natural Vitamin C.
So, go ahead and use this old time remedy, and help your body heal itself.